Sunday, October 21, 2007

I Smell Smoke

Sunday afternoon we started smelling smoke but with no fire in sight. Then I woke up to this Monday morning! By 8 am my parents had already started getting stuff together in case we needed to evacuate. I am in wedding mode so my first thoughts were "I've got to pack the wedding announcements!" haha. I'm planning on sending them this week and a fire will not delay that!

We packed the irreplaceables and waited until about 11 am before we decided to evacuate. The "Mandatory Evacuation" did not come until about an hour later but conditions continued to decline with no prospect of improving for at least a day.

We thought of going north to Irvine but the air quality was no good so we headed east to Mesa. We thought it was a good excuse to see Scott, Lacy, and Talie but when we hit the desert the winds were too strong and we camped out in Palm Springs.



Just in case my dad needed to come back early we took two cars. My mom and dad drove together while I drove with Della the dog. She's a great driving buddy!





3 comments:

Brooke said...

Is this just a weird picture or is the dog wearing a leg cast??

Chris & Kristen said...

She's definitely wearing a cast. She broke her toe which requires a full leg cast!

Brooke said...

Poor pup! How funny that a toe would require that big of a cast.